You are probably very much like me — another writer seeking to share wisdom, touching stories, information, or guidance to those who need it.
Here’s the soul-crushing reality for every tenderhearted, hopeful writer.
The person who needs it won’t get it if they never read it.
There are a lot of articles that I simply don’t read. And here’s why.
- It’s LONG. I write my articles to be super digestible, which means they are short. I like stuff that can be consumed in 2–3 minutes. People only want to take in so much when they are reading leisurely. Don’t be an attention hog. Catch them for a moment, and release them to explore something else — preferable another article you wrote.
- It’s BULKY. Those big, long paragraphs and long sentences? Immediate killer for me. This is another way that I make my work super digestible. Keep it short, concise, and know when to hit the return key.
- It’s TOO MUCH. Don’t write every article like it’s your last. If you are cramming too much information into one article, it loses power. One simple, concise, focused, well-written concept is far more impactful than adding literally everything you could think of in the last hour as you frantically typed away.
- It’s FLUFFY: Eliminate anything that isn’t critical to the article. Extra words, unnecessary details, rambling thoughts, or tangential ideas? Delete all that fluff. Every sentence should be necessary to the construction of the work; the idea, the readability, the artistry, the flow. Make the delete key your best friend — and hit it often.
- It’s HACK. In comedy, “hack” refers to unoriginal, over-used material. If you want me to read on and become a fan, give me a unique, insightful, or powerful gem of wisdom. I title my work Epiphany because I aim for powerful insights that shift perspectives. Impactful work is “sticky”. And people love to share sticky ideas.
These days, we must do more than write great articles — we must write articles that are quick and easy to read. Make them impactful and you’ll have new fans every time. ❤
If you enjoyed this article, please follow me, subscribe or share on social media! ❤
Join Medium with my referral link - epiphany
As a Medium member, a portion of your membership fee goes to writers you read, and you get full access to every story…
Your Paragraphs are Killing Me
I will click out of your article the second I see this.